MUMBAI—Martial arts icon Jackie Chan, who was in Mumbai on Jan. 23 to promote his film “Kung Fu Yoga,” and could not spare more time in the city due to prior commitments, according to co-star and Hindi version distributor Sonu Sood, was in for a whirlwind 12 hours when he landed around 11 AM.
Here are the highlights in a nutshell:
• At 11 a.m., Jackie Chan landed in his private jet along with co-stars Disha Patani and Amyra Dastur, who had been with him in the Malaysia leg of the promotions. Stanley Tong and Miya Muqi also accompanied them – the latter being another co-star and a Yoga expert in China.
• Sonu Sood welcomed the team, including director Stanley Tong, and they drove to Hotel J.W. Marriott, with Sood himself at the wheel.
• Farah Khan had put together a dance performance on a song they had done together in Rajasthan for the film and that took place in the hotel lobby.
• The hotel served him Indian meals in ‘dabbas.’
• The team then drove to the sets of “The Kapil Sharma Show” with outfits for the Chinese team and Sood designed by Nilesh and Mitesh under their label, Kora.
• Raveena Tandon was a special guest on the sets of the show, apart from the entire team.
• Pressed for time, they could not even move to the sets of “Tubelight” starring Salman Khan, which was just a two-minute drive away.
• The team was back at the hotel after the shoot, and attended the press conference (Read India-West report on how he wowed fans) at 7.15 PM, a full four hours behind schedule.
• After this, Chan had only time to meet a few people in his Presidential Suite at the hotel. Among them were Salman Khan, who cancelled the rest of the shooting and came there. He left with gifts from Chan – a silk scarf, a panda and a cellphone cover.
• He finally attended a get-together at Khan’s residence, where Patani’s special friend Tiger Shroff, whose lifelong icon the Chinese actor has been, met him. Shroff had been approached for the film as well, but could not do it due to prior commitments.
• “Today, my life has come a full circle,” Shroff told the Mumbai media. “He is the reason I do what I do. There is so much to learn from him – he’s so energetic, always moving and stretching, with a smile that never slips. He clicks pictures with everybody who approaches him. I wish to live my life like Jackie-sir and reach the level he has.”
• Saif Ali Khan, Iulia Vantur, Kangana Ranaut, Remo D’Souza and Vashu Bhagnani dropped in to meet the actor there.
• Chan finally left at 10.30 PM to fly back to China.