Mumbai — Actress Deepika Padukone has been voted the sexiest woman in the world in a poll conducted by FHM magazine.
At a glitzy party held here July 2, the Bollywood diva unveiled the latest edition of the magazine featuring her on the cover, along with FHM's list of the top “100 Sexiest Women in the World.”
Padukone, however, believes that her physical appearance has got nothing to do with the poll and it is only her work that has led her to topping the list.
“I think something like this is really the result of the work that I do. I don’t think it has got anything to do with me physically. I also think that the brand endorsements are also the result of the films that you do,” the statuesque actress said.
“I have been very fortunate that the roles I have done in the last two or three years have been very different from each other. So I guess this and the endorsements are a result of that and, of course, the success and the relatability of the characters," she added.
Padukone was last seen in Tamil film “Kochadaiiyaan” opposite South superstar Rajinikanth. Her look in her upcoming movie “Finding Fanny” is also out. The film has been directed by Homi Adajania and also stars Arjun Kapoor, Naseeruddin Shah and Dimple Kapadia.
Besides Padukone, the event was attended by actors, models and TV personalities like Neha Sharma, Elli Avram, Kiara Advani, Karishma Kotak, Adhyayan Suman, Sara Loren, Urvashi Rautela, Alesia Raut and Bruna Abdullah among others.
Following the tradition of the “100 Sexiest Poll” conducted by FHM UK for the past 20 years, FHM India annually organizes its own version of the list of 100 sexiest women in the world based on public voting.
The results of the Indian edition of the poll are released to the public every year by the winner.
“There are lists and then there is the ‘100 Sexiest’ list — the difference is that this is a ‘for the people, by the people’ list. There is no editorial agenda, no marketing gimmick; we are merely working as a platform to showcase our list of top100 women.
“And yes, we are ranking them. 2014 is a year of some major ups and downs — for instance, Kareena (Kapoor) hasn’t made it to the top 10, Bipasha (Basu) is languishing somewhere in the 30s and Mallika Sherawat is down at 95,” said FHM India editor Kabeer Sharma.
Voting trends of the 2014 FHM awards are as follows:
- Katrina Kaif, winner of the past five series, is currently at number three.
- Kareena Kapoor doesn’t even feature in the top 10.
- Rochelle Rao, voted the hottest calendar girl of the year, is at number 14.
- Prachi Desai beats Sonakshi Sinha and Sonam Kapoor.
- Bipasha Basu is currently number 30.
- Archana Vijaya, the hottest Indian sports anchor, is at number 52.
- Emilia Clarke, English actress best known for her role as Daenerys Targaryen in “Game of Thrones,” voted 11th in the UK, gets positioned at number 93.
- Mallika Sherawat performs her worst, ranked at number 95.
- India’s fascination with “Mad Men” seems to be over, with Christina Hendricks not even making it to the top 100.