MUMBAI—“Golmaal Again” is the biggest box-office blockbuster of 2017, and only “Padmavati” and/or “Tiger Zinda Hai” can match or surpass it next month now. It has not only collected Rs. 300 crore at the global box-office but netted over Rs. 200 crore in India alone. Next to the dubbed “Bahubali2: The Conclusion” (whose Hindi version crossed Rs. 500 crore) in business, it is, therefore, the biggest Hindi film so far this year.
Some of the records broken are:
• It is the highest-collecting Indian Diwali release of all time, the actual figures supposed to be better than even “Prem Ratan Dhan Payo” (2015).
• The film claims to have entered the top 10 Hindi films regarding India theatrical business of all-time.
• “Golmaal Again” is the highest-grossing Indian comedy film of all time in North America
• The film has shattered all previous box-office records in Gujarat.
• It is the highest as well as the first Rs 200-crore grossing film of Ajay Devgn.
• It is thus the first non-Khan (Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh) film to reach this level. Akshay Kumar and Hrithik Roshan, too, have yet to reach this mark.
• “Golmaal Again” is the second film of Rohit Shetty (after “Chennai Express”) to nett 200 cr. in India and his first comedy to do so.
About the film’s phenomenal success, producer and director Rohit Shetty said, “I am overwhelmed with the response the film has received and thank the worldwide audiences for appreciating the film.”
Shibasish Sarkar, COO, Reliance Entertainment commented, “It is very rare for a film to create such wonders at the box-office. We are thankful to our friend and partner Rohit, for his incredible vision that made this possible.”
Among earlier films of Reliance in this list are “Ghajini,” the first film to make 100 crore, “3 Idiots” (the second), “Singham,” “Bodyguard,” “Don2” and “Holiday.” Shetty has an equal score with “Golmaal 3,” “Singham,” “Bol Bachchan,” “Chennai Express,” “Singham Returns,” “Dilwale” and now this film.