MUMBAI — Kareena Kapoor Khan and celebrity nutritionist Rujuta Diwekar have joined hands to launch a series of Facebook talks that tackle the issues of obesity and undernourishment.
The star, who broke conventional stereotypes and continued to work throughout her pregnancy, has become an icon to the modern-day working woman. Khan collaborated with celebrity nutritionist Diwekar, author of best-selling books like “Don’t Lose Your Mind, Lose Your Weight” and “The Weight Loss Tamasha,” to share her philosophy with her fan base across the globe, openly revealing her secrets of a glowing skin, a healthy body and a razor-sharp business mind. She also talked, of course, on the challenges during and after a working woman’s pregnancy, and how food, exercise and the right attitude can overcome them.
Khan, the new Begum of Pataudi and wife of Saif Ali Khan and the daughter of yesteryear stars Randhir Kapoor and Babita, recently delivered her son, now named Taimur. Soon, she even appeared on the show, “Koffee With Karan.”
Khan is already looking lighter and slimmer and is glowing a mere two months after the birth of her son. “The idea is to have faith. And to do it all in a continuous, sustainable way,” she said during a Facebook Live chat Feb. 14.
The video has already got over a million views, with thousands of people, especially women, coming in with questions about diet. Khan had put on almost 20 kilos during her pregnancy, thanks to the nutritious diet needed. She happily flaunted herself, “double chin and all,” until she delivered.
Her dietician Diwekar, said that she should take things one step at a time and not rush the process. “Because we don’t want to go one step forward and two steps back, which is what happens when you do a crash or extreme diet,” Diwekar said during the chat. “The goal is to let everything inside your body that changed in the nine months of your pregnancy get back into order.”
“My aim is to lose the weight I had put on. But I don’t want to do it overnight. It may take long, but I want to feel light, happy and energetic throughout the process. And that is important,” Khan said.
Some tips from the chat:
- In one pregnancy, you lose five years of calcium in the body. Calcium levels in the body must be accelerated with a tall glass of milk every night. Milk has a lot of CLA (conjugated Linoleic Acid) that helps burn more fat and mobilize it from stubborn areas.
- Dark circles post-partum should be tackled by increasing intake of foods that with a high content of Vitamin B12 and iron, such as curds, buttermilk and pickle in controlled amounts.
- Eating rice allows you to bring back a lot of the good bacteria (flora) that something as strenuous as a delivery may wash out.
- Refraining from crash diets, which lead to a lot of lifestyle disorders, such as post-pregnancy thyroid, is imperative. Such diets slow down metabolism.
- Walking can strengthen the core and help lose weight post-pregnancy. It is the best exercise in the world.
Khan’s career is now 17 years old, and she is still in the reckoning. Her long innings include home productions or co-productions of Salman Khan (“Bajrangi Bhaijaan,” “Main Aur Mrs. Khanna,” “Bodyguard”), Aamir Khan (“Talaash”), Shah Rukh Khan (“RA.One,” “Asoka”), Ajay Devgn (“Singham Returns”), Anil Kapoor and Sridevi (“Bewafaa”) and of course, Saif Ali Khan (“Agent Vinod”) besides films with big names like Yash and Aditya Chopra, Sooraj Barjatya, Yash and Karan Johar, Rajkumar Hirani, Kabir Khan, Sanjay Leela Bhansali and many more. She will soon shoot for “Veerey Di Wedding.” Her last release was her career-biggest hit, “Bajrangi Bhaijaan,” in 2015.
Watch the live Facebook chat here.