MUMBAI—Zee Group bagged the satellite rights of the Rajinikanth magnum opus “2.0” for a mind-boggling Rs. 110 crores! This is for the rights for all the Indian languages comprising Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and others.
The upcoming sci-fi action entertainer “2.0” aka “Enthiran 2” directed by Shankar has created wave in the trade circles with this now confirmed buzz. The film, also starring Akshay Kumar and Amy Jackson, is gearing up for this year’s Diwali release with its trailers and audio launch expected as early as Apr. 14. The film has been made on a huge budget of Rs. 450 crores. As of now, the talkie portions of the movie have been completed and shoot for one song is left.
According to industry sources, this deal is a new record as Aamir Khan’s “Dangal” was sold for Rs. 75 crores. Lyca Production is planning to expand the reach of the movie to international markets that were never explored so far.
Satellite rights had reached a low after many biggies crashed since 2015, but this seems like the beginning of a reversal. Whether the channel breaks even with this kind of money remains to be seen.
Big Satellite Moolah:
• Buzz is that “Bahubali: The Conclusion” has been sold for Rs. 115 crores to Sony. In that case, it breaks even “2.0”’s record!
• Hrithik Roshan sold rights of six films to Star TV for Rs. 550 crores.
• Sony had picked up Aamir Khan’s “Dhoom 3” in 2013 for Rs. 65 crores.
• Star TV had signed a deal of approximately Rs 500 crores in 2013 for Salman Khan films released between Jan. 2013 and Dec. 2017.
• Ajay Devgn made a deal with Star TV in 2013 for all films until 2015 for about Rs. 400 crores.
• Satellite rights, like music rights of the late ‘80s to late ‘90s, are often paid just prior to and during the film’s making.