500 gm watermelon horizontally cut in half
4 crab sticks
100 ml lemon juice
15 ml sesame oil
salt and pepper to taste
4 gm castor sugar
5.5 oz. (156 g) Alaskan king crab meat
½ cup (115 g) of finely sliced spring onions
few pieces of red radish thinly
10 gm ginger cut into julienne
8 pieces of edible flower petals
15 gm togarashi powder
Ingredients for avocado puree:
1 ripe avocado peeled with pit removed
5 gm ginger minced a
pinch of wasabi paste
5 ml lemon juice
5 ml sesame oil
salt to taste
half a pinch of togarashi powder
1. Prepare the avocado puree by scooping, mashing and whipping with a whisk until smooth.
2. Add all the remaining ingredients to the avocado puree, and whisk until fully incorporated and blended. Check for seasoning, and adjust if required. Keep refrigerated.
3. Take the watermelon and cut it in half horizontally, removing the outer rind and cutting into 4 rounds with a 2 cm thickness and 9 cm diameter.
4. Place the cut watermelon in a deep bowl to marinate with the lemon juice, sesame oil, spring onion, sugar, salt and pepper, and set aside for 5 minutes.
5. Preheat the grill, and quickly grill the watermelon for about 1 minute on each side or until nice grill marks are achieved. Remove from the heat and chill for 10 minutes.
6. Over a heated hot plate, sear the crab stick, and set aside.
7. With a butter brush, lightly paint the base of the grilled watermelon with sesame oil, then gently press the finely sliced spring onions onto the base of the watermelon to form a crust, shaking off any access onion.
8. Place the grilled watermelon in the center on the plate.
9. Place the chilled crab stick on top of the grilled watermelon.
10. Put 3 dollops of the avocado puree on top and at the base of the crab stick, and then garnish with some thinly sliced radish pieces, ginger julienne and edible flowers. Finally, lightly dust with togarashi powder.