Pak Nationals

A soldier takes position during an encounter with terrorists in Budgam in Jammu and Kashmir Nov. 30, 2017. (IANS photo)

SRINAGAR — Five militants, including four Pakistani nationals, were killed and an army para-commando was injured in two separate gunfights between security forces and militants in the Kashmir Valley Nov. 30. Five civilians protesting a security forces operation were also injured by the gunfire.

Defense Ministry spokesman Colonel Rajesh Kalia said four militants were killed in the Futlipora village in the Pakherpora area of central Badgam district, while one militant was killed in the Sagipora village in the Sopore area in Baramulla district.

A senior police officer said three of the killed militants’ bodies have been recovered from the gunfight site in Futlipora village and searches are on to trace the body of the fourth militant.

"Of the four slain militants, three were Pakistani nationals, while the fourth was Shabir Ahmad Thokar, a local militant. All the four militants belonged to Jaish-e-Muhammad outfit," the officer said.

Five civilians were injured in Pakherpora Chowk when a mob attacked an army convoy carrying reinforcements to Futlipora village where the gunfight was underway.

Police said the army fired in the air to disperse the protesters. However, doctors said three of the injured civilians, including a 15-year-old boy, had gunshot wounds.

The mob also torched a private vehicle in Futlipora, which was allegedly used by the security forces during the operation and later left behind near the gunfight site.

The injured civilians have been shifted to a hospital for treatment.

In another gunfight that erupted in the Sagipora village of the Sopore area in Baramulla district, one militant was killed and an army para-commando was injured.

Police said the downed militant was a Pakistani national who belonged to Lashkar-e-Taiba.

Giving details of the Badgam operation, Colonel Rajesh Kalia said based on specific information about the presence of militants, security forces surrounded Futlipora village Nov. 30 morning.

"As the security forces closed in on the hiding militants, the security forces were fired upon, triggering the encounter."

Authorities suspended internet services in the district to prevent the spread of rumors, police said.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.