BHUBANESWAR — Over 150 students in a government residential school for tribal girls fell ill Sept. 15, exhibiting symptoms of food poisoning in Odisha's Malkangiri district, officials said.
The students of Badapada Kanyashram in Chitrakonda block complained of nausea, vomiting, loose motions and stomach pain after consuming flattened rice at breakfast, said Ramkrishna Gond, project administrator of the Integrated Tribal Development Agency.
The students were admitted to the Chitrakonda hospital for treatment.
Malkangiri District Collector K. Sudarshan Chakravarthy visited the hospital and said an inquiry would be conducted to uncover the cause of the incident and those responsible.
School authorities said the flattened rice was brought to the school in a vehicle that was also carrying phenyl.
The food may have been exposed to the phenyl, leading to the deterioration in the health of the students, officials said.
Around 100 students from four schools in the Lanjigarh block of the Kalahandi district were taken ill after their midday meal Sept. 14.